Sunday, December 2, 2012

Chocolate-covered Baloney by K D McCrite


Chocolate-covered Baloney is the second book by KD McCrite that I have read to review. It's a book written for the middle-school aged girl, and as I have a child in that age group, I was interested in checking it out. My review of the other April Grace book, Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks is here.

The book follows April Grace and her family through some life-shaking episodes in their family. April Grace and her sister Myra Sue are continually embroiled in some heavy sibling rivalry. An unexpected relative shows up and features strongly in the story as well. I don't want to give away the story, so I'm being intentionally vague :) There are touching family moments as well as harsh disagreements. In the big picture of the story, the family and their neighbors work together as neighbors and family ought to.

So here comes the part where I give my recommendation if any. . .I did enjoy reading the book, it was funny in some parts and easy to read. . .(well, it IS written for jr high aged girls!)


BUT

I do not believe I'd want my daughter reading this book. There was an awful lot of name-calling and disrespect that went completely unaddressed. So much so that by the end of the book you hardly notice it--and that's just what I do NOT want my daughter becoming immune to. That kind of talk, though it may occur in some families, will not be stood for in this house. And I don't want us to become callous to it and not recognize it as sinful and wrong.

So--though I think the author wrote an easily readable book, I won't recommend it. Though it's published by a Christian company I didn't see much faith or Christian influence in the book.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers as a part of their Booksneeze program for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment