Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quick redesign!!

Quick and easy denim jeans remake into denim skirt!

Yesterday I took 3 pair of old jeans which were too short for me and too small :), cut the legs off, opened up one of the side seams (whichever one was boring), and made a wonderfully cute skirt!

It was SO easy--here's how I did it:

Measured waist, hip, and length I wanted, divided waist and hip measurements by six, added 1" to each of those measurements, and made a pattern piece.

Opened out the pant legs and cut one piece from each leg (I placed them so that where the pantleg didn't sit flat was the hem end, for a little extra "flare") using that pattern piece.

Next step was to sew the 6 pieces together ( I used my serger so they wouldn't fray like crazy) and then zig-zagged down them on the top side so that the seams would lay flat.

NEXT--I tried it on and saw I had plenty of room for an elastic waist--so I cut a piece of scrap fabric out and made an inner waistband, cut elastic to fit my waist and put it in.

LASTLY--I sewed around the hemline, about 1/2" up from the lower end of the fabric, then snipped up almost to that line so that it'd fray, threw it in with a load of laundry, and it came out SO CUTE and frayed at the hem.

Here it is!!

So much easier than I thought it would be!



7 comments:

  1. Great thinking! I love the extra flair at the hemline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome.. I might need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this, and it is so cute and easy! I also make a second one and attatched it to the top of a pair of jeans, where I cut just below the zipper that fit me. I love this one, it has a button and a zipper and fits really well, and I left the bottom of the hem frayed also. The bottom of the jeans came from my son who donated his old jeans. I also, have made 4 more for my niece out of her brothers jeans, and now I have 4 more cut out, and am going to sell them at a craft sell. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Sheila! thanks for the cute idea! i came here from the creation site - we love their stuff also :). happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so cute...but quick and easy, ummm, wouldn't be for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good idea! I will have to try this with my Mom. I am Faith, from Creation Conversations, I hope the link up worked.

    ReplyDelete