Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Filling Up the Afflictions of Christ by John Piper



This book by John Piper, Filling up the Afflictions of Christ, contains the stories of three men who brought Christ to other cultures at a huge cost to their own lives and those of their families. The 3 men whose ministries are included in this book are Adoniram Judson, John Paton, and William Tyndale.

As biographies go, I actually did not care for the writing style of this book. It wasn't arranged chronologically, and seemed to skip back and forth in their lives. There was a chapter for each of the men. I had not heard the story of John Paton before (missionary to Vanuatu), but had heard of the others. The focus was on the life sacrifices each of these men made to bring the Gospel to those who had not heard.

With the wide range of biographies available today, I probably would not recommend this one. I didn't care for the writing, it was not easy for me to read, and I tend to get more out of something more read-able.

So--I didn't love this. I probably wouldn't buy it or give it as a gift. We love hearing missionary stories in my family, but this one. . .I'd rather read a different one.

I received a copy of this book through the Crossway Homeschool Book Review Program for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment