Sunday, March 24, 2013

Lord, I Give You This Day by Kay Arthur



Ooh! A devotional by Kay Arthur? This book is called Lord, I Give You This Day and is subtitled "366 appointments with God". This book is a collection of Kay Arthur writings, one for every day of the year. There is a highlight Scripture and a page of exposition/explanation/highlighting of truths for that passage. Scattered throughout the writings are Kay Arthur's familar "Beloved"s and "dear one" and so forth that people who read her books come to love.

Kay's main focus in this book is one of surrender. Did you overlook that part of the title? It is Lord, I Give You This Day Not, "Give us this day" but rather "I Give You This Day." In the foreword, she says, "While your circumstances may be difficult, even painful, through the discipline of surrender you will find God's strength perfected in your weakness. And you will be able to face each day, each moment, each opportunity and challenge with a hope that does not falter."

I am not a huge fan of the one-page devotionals such as this, because it's an easy trap to fall into, just read the one page and call it a "check" -- done with spending time with God! I think HOWEVER that this book is a great addition to a regular Bible-reading/prayer time for each day. It is great to be reminded of our surrender and the importance of turning things over to the Lord.

I would recommend this book, it's a nice looking book of a nice size and would make a great gift! (Or use one to add to your own time spent with the Lord).

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment