Monday, July 18, 2011

Pieces of Light by Julie Cave


Another mystery book to review! This book is a wonderfully clean, ethical mystery with spiritual teaching overtones throughout the book. It focuses on the main character, a new Christian named Dinah who is working with her former partner in the FBI to solve a series of church bombings. As the story unfolds, the reader learns more and more about Dinah as well as about the person responsible for the bombings. Sprinkled throughout the book were several harsh reality themes such as self abuse (cutting) and child/spousal abuse. There is also quite a bit of overt Biblical teaching on Christians dating non-Christians and also a clear salvation message at the end of the book.

The pattern of the book is a flip-flop back and forth between “present day” and a time one year ago. This is admittedly not my favorite format, but it is a type of writing that many people enjoy.

The book Pieces of Light is Cave’s third book in the Dinah Harris mystery series. Often I read books out of sequence, sometimes it’s a drawback, sometimes it’s just fine. For the most part, I thought the author did a good job of filling in background information that was missed by not reading the first two books. The one part that I thought I missed out on was the history with Senator Winters—I never really did understand how that whole story line fit in with the book, but I imagine had I read the earlier books it may have fit in better.

All in all, it was a nice read, I’d recommend it, but I think I’d suggest looking up the first two books in the series first.

I was given a free copy of this book by the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment