Saturday, July 14, 2018

CPR/ First Aid for teens

I am so pleased that my kids were able to take certification courses for CPR and First Aid this year!

I really think it is so important that everyone, even teenagers, be prepared to help someone out in an emergency!  


So let me tell you the story of how this came about.  Last year I had looked into CPR/First Aid courses and how I could offer them to my kids and others.  The costs that we were quoted were very prohibitive (like nearly $1000 for 8 individuals to become certified!!) There is no way we could afford that, or afford to offer it to others in our community. I had contacted both the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross.  I still don't understand why these courses are so expensive!!


So I gave up for awhile.  In September I had the Sheriff come to our 4-H Club for a career exploration presentation, and while he was there I asked him if he knew of anyone who offered courses for less $ than I had been quoted.  He said that he was thinking of having himself and some of his staff certified as instructors--and to contact him later in the year to see if they had.  I emailed him every couple of months and finally in June they had been trained to be instructors!  He coordinated with me to figure out two afternoons that we could offer the course and he offered the trainings for these students at a very low price.



I opened up the course to just teenagers, because there's something about a group of teens that they are able to concentrate/learn better without as much embarassment sometimes if parents aren't included :) We had nine students sign up and all nine of them passed all the requirements to receive their American Heart Association certifications in CPR (adult, child, and infant) and First Aid.


I am so thankful that we were able to do this and that now nine more individuals are prepared to help their communities in this way if needed!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete