Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The One-Year Devotions for Active Boys by Jesse Florea and Karen Whiting



The One Year Devotions for Active Boys is a daily devotional book that is written for boys. The format is that there is a topic with a story (from the Bible or just a fictional story) which is then followed by some "weird facts" or an experiment, puzzle, or jokes. The next segment is a prayer starter and then a Bible verse that relates.

The narrative is written in an easy to read style, I think it would be easy for a boy to read himself or else a parent to read with their son. The topics are wide-ranging, from science to God's power to leaders to arguing to wisdom, and etc. The book is intended for 7-12 year old boys.

So how do I like this book? Fine, for a devotional. I think that it is engaging and that boys will like to read it. I think you would need to plan carefully when devotion time is (for instance, right before bed would not be the best time to begin an experiment or get out equipment to make something cool). I DO wish that there was a little more application focus in some of the days. Some days it is easy to understand how the verses and themes apply to your life, other times it's a bit more difficult. I guess it comes down to a couple of things. This is a good age to begin a habit of daily Bible reading and prayer, and I think that this book is a book that will encourage a boy to begin and stick with that habit. I have a preteen boy and we have seen several different devotionals for boys this age -- some I like better than this one, some not so much. I guess I'd give this a 4 out of 5 rating and hope that it helps to instill a good habit of spending time each day with the Lord.

I received this book from the publisher for free in exchange for writing a review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment