Saturday, May 17, 2014

Life Behind the Wall by Robert Elmer



Great historical fiction book for teens/tweens! The book Life Behind the Wall by Robert Elmer is a collection of three different books, intertwined, connected by family and location. The books focus on young teens and their lives in East Berlin, just as the Wall was built, during the time that the Wall was up and around, and during the time that the Wall came down.

It shows the desperation, the poor living conditions, the unfairness of life in one sector versus the other. It shows ideas, and heroism, courageous "regular" people, and their struggles.

I don't want to give too much information about the plots -- they are interesting and interconnected. I will say that my teenaged daughter has enjoyed these books as well as me! :) They are easy to read, clean, informative, and just a good story. There is suspense, fear, sadness, discouragement, hope, and so many other ups and downs.

I will give away a smidgen and tell you that it has a happy ending :) (haha, we all know the Wall came down, but more than that. . .) -- I DO enjoy books with happy endings :)

I would recommend this book, not just for teens/tweens, but for adults as well! My husband is next in line to read this and I'm guessing he will love it. If you like historic fiction, you'll probably like this, but it's pretty recent, too, so if you're not into history, give it a try and I think you'll find that you like it as well!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment