Tuesday, August 20, 2013

She's Twelve Going on Twenty by Kim Camp




Well, here's my review for the book She's Twelve Going on Twenty by Kim Camp. Hmmmmm. Not my favorite. I really did not care for this book! I have a new teenager and a couple of preteens, so I was very excited to check out this book, but as I began reading, I had to make myself read the book since I had promised to review it. It's a re-release of an earlier book, with additions made to the book since the author has become divorced--her new thoughts based on single parenthood, I guess.

The book is topics which relate to preteens/teens such as diet, exercise, faith, music, friends, family, and more. Lots of examples make up the bulk of the book, along with words of wisdom from the author.

I really didn't find this book to be really original, and not a whole lot of Scriptural principles/references. I don't know quite what it was that made me dislike it so much. It was hard for me to follow, first of all. I felt like the author was just sharing her opinions or observations rather than using the Bible as the authority behind it. Little snippets of ideas, but no real unifying theme. Sprinkled with the names of famous people the author is friends/acquaintances with.

Well, though I don't have major objections, I would not really recommend this book. I didn't enjoy reading it and did not feel that I gained any wisdom to help us through the teen years. So -- that's my two cents' worth!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for free for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment