Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Burning Sky by Lori Benton



I was a little hesitant to read Burning Sky. . .reading the summary on the back it sounded kind of just like a love story of some sort--but as I began reading it I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself loving the book! I'll say right here at the start that I definitely liked this book and would recommend it for sure!

The book is about a woman who, as a young girl, was abducted in an Indian raid and lived the next 14 years of her life with the Wolf Clan, as a daughter/sister/wife. She has lost her (Indian) family and is returning to the land of her birth family, the life she was taken from. Her homecoming, however, is not a cause for rejoicing on the part of most of the people involved: her parents are gone, the land is scheduled to be taken and sold, lives have been changed by war with the British and the Indians, and much more. She finds a Scotsman who is injured and nurses him back to health; her Wolf Clan brother Joseph finds her; she reunites with her childhood friend Anni; she meets up not so happily with other childhood friends; and on and on. I do not want to give away any more. Read it!!

I was very taken with this book. It is kind of a long book, and definitely not just fluff. It was VERY well-written, and the author gave just enough twists and turns to keep the reader seeking more and more. I think the whole premise of the book, this girl who had been kidnapped and then adopted into another culture, then returned to her previous culture -- was treated very gently and respectfully.

It was a nice clean story, yes, it was a love story, but much more than that. Nothing racy or inappropriate. It was certainly not overly-predictable, and a happy ending :) which I do like!

I would recommend this book for sure. Read it, give it as a gift, lend it to a friend! One of my favorite fiction books I've read this summer!

I received a copy of this book from the Waterbrook publishers. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment