Monday, March 18, 2019

Martha (sister of Lazarus)

Ahh Martha, such an illustration in sermons about someone who loved Jesus but focused on other things at the wrong time...

Anyhow--in yesterday's sermon I learned a lesson about myself through looking at Martha at the time of her brother Lazarus's death.  Earlier in the chapter (John 11) she has definitively stated her belief in Jesus: 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
27 “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”
But now, when Jesus tells them to roll away the stone, her response is "but Lord, it has been 4 days, by now there will be a stench!"
She believed, yes, but at times her actions/responses did not match that stated belief. 
Hmmm--am I ever like that? YES -- sadly, quite a bit of the time.  I know in my heart and head that God is in charge, all powerful, and on my side...yet I still worry. I give up hope. I forget to trust and forge ahead on my own.  
This passage is a good reminder to live out the beliefs. In the face of what we might find impossible, we need to remember the One in whom our faith resides.  

Hey, today's verse of the day runs right along this theme...

Romans 15:13



New International Version

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment