Thursday, January 17, 2019

My succulent (hen & chicks)


Let me begin by saying that I am not much of an indoor houseplant keeper.  I can care for a garden over the summer, but I really don't have much success or experience with indoor plants (or outdoor decorative-type plants, like hostas and such). 

A friend gave me some plants that she was thinning out, and two of them were little bitty hens&chicks.  My grandparents used to have these out by the side of their house where it was rocky -- and that's a great memory for me :) .  I didn't know exactly where to put these plants, so I put them in a bowl and watered them every so often...this was a year and a half ago! 

I kept watering them every so often and lo and behold they stayed alive!  Half a year ago I planted them into some dirt, still unsure of where (outdoors) to plant them...and they're still there, right on the windowsill by my kitchen sink.

This plant looks so funny to me, especially how long and plump it is!  Usually they are so flat and pointy.  I'm guessing that I'm probably overwatering it and the orientation causes it to grow longer toward the light source (window).  But hey, it sure looks interesting!

So--I guess there's no moral to this story, no lesson, no tips.  Just an interesting picture and a long caption to it!

(if you're really looking for info on hens & chicks, you should probably google it...here's one option https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-care-for-hens-and-chicks-plants-2132609  )

1 comment:

  1. My grandma (in Gang Mills) had hens and chicks, too. <3 I know it's been a while since you posted this. I'm wondering if your long plant flowered. We have some in the yard by the bird house and I found out the long plants (called roosters) flower!

    ReplyDelete