Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Gift of Christmas Past by Cindy Woodsmall and Erin Woodsmall -- my REVIEW

 There are times in my busy life when I carry a book around with me for those chance "down times" that I might encounter.  Alternatively, there are those books which demand to be read, whether I be busy or not!  This book, The Gift of Christmas Past by Cindy Woodsmall and Erin Woodsmall (her daughter-in-law) is one of the latter!  It's a "stay up late to read and regret the lack of sleep tomorrow" type of book, if you know what I mean!

The main character, Hadley, grew up in foster care, and in high school, just when things appeared to be going well--good prospects for the future, boyfriend with similar interests, looking forward to a future in speech therapy--there is a huge kink in her life and everything is thrown all out the window. 

Monroe, Hadley's high school boyfriend, is faced with a decision, one that will affect his life as well as Hadley's (and their future lives)--and he chooses what he thinks will be ultimately the best for Hadley (on the advice of his parents). 

Hadley disappears from his life and their paths diverge, leaving a sadness, despair, and more abandonment behind.

Fast forward to the future, when they are adults.  Hadley is working in speech therapy (as she had hoped) and is working on a higher academic degree.  She lives with a former foster child friend and their lives seem to be heading in a positive direction.  She works with a child who lives near them and has speech issues, but when an emergency occurs, that work goes backward mysteriously, and Hadley works to help her further.

Enter Monroe, who hasn't seen or heard of/from Hadley for years.  I really don't think I ought to tell you more of the plot, because it's definitely a story you will enjoy reading!  (Haha!  Is that frustrating, leaving you there?  Read it!)  It's an engaging story about persistence, abandonment, emotional rawness (not just theirs), fear, success, and more.  There are peripheral characters who are great additions to the story as well (as well as their own storylines--hmmmm--might they be developed further in future books?  Just wondering. . .)

I enjoyed the characters, the ending was satisfying, and the writing was very interesting.  I really enjoyed this story and would highly recommend it to others!  And guess what???? It's not a Christmas story!  (weird title, though-- "The Gift of Christmas Past" ??  I really didn't see the Christmas connection -- but don't let that stop you from reading it!  It's definitely NOT a seasonal read.)  Despite my thoughts about the title, I would highly recommend this book!  I hope to see more books written by Cindy Woodsmall and her daughter-in-law Erin!

I received a copy of this book from the authors and was happy to read and review it.  I was not required to write a positive review, I just loved it and wanted to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment