Friday, June 5, 2015

The Midwife's Tale by Delia Parr


The Midwife's Tale by Delia Parr is a story of a woman (Martha Cade) in the early 1800's who is the midwife for the region. She is a widow and has two children -- one son grown and married and moved away, one daughter who has just (at the start of the book) run away with a traveling circus. She is an essential member of her community, and has helped with almost every birth around.

Martha takes a break from her midwifing role and searches for several months for her daughter, but is unsuccessful. She returns to her previous life only to find that there is a new doctor in town who might threaten her livelihood.

The book follows the story of Martha (Widow Cade) and her efforts to live life in the shadow of her daughter's disappearance as well as carrying on her normal midwifery duties.

There is a new family in the region, a husband and wife and several foster boys -- several tragedies -- larceny -- suspicion -- broken friendships --

I won't tell you how they play into the story, but read it to find out!

I don't want to tell you much more about the plot, because you ought to read it to find out ;) I did enjoy this book quite a lot! The characters are nicely developed and the story is interesting. I usually don't really like historical fictions in this era, but I certainly did like this one! I do recommend this book -- give it a try!

I received this book for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment