Saturday, April 11, 2015

Cookie Love by Mindy Segal with Kate Leahy



This book, Cookie Love, is a book with beautiful photos, enjoyable to look through, and inspiring you to make some cookies! Oh yes, there are recipes as well :)

The introduction gives the author's story of why she is in love with cookies and why she is sharing her recipes through this book. She sounds like a very interesting person and gives a little intro narrative to the sections of the book and even for the recipes. Some of the cookies are variations on familiar recipes, others are very unique. The photos that accompany the recipes are gorgeous, just beautiful.

At the end of the book are sections such as "tools of the trade" and "tricks of the trade." There is also an author's pantry section, where we get to find out what some of these exotic ingredients mentioned in the recipes are and why they are important.

Overall, though I love the looks of this book, the recipes in it are pretty impractical for me. First of all, many use specialized ingredients and others require many specialized techniques. For me, a busy homeschooling mom of 3 kids, I love to make cookies, but one of the appealing things of cookie making to me is that there is minimal work/time and yummy outcome. I think that I will stick to easier recipes than those in this book.

Maybe this book would be for you if you like to bake special fussy-type recipes; if you have the time and artistic sense to utilize these recipes, have fun! For me, it'd make more of a coffee-table book :) Pretty to look at the pictures and talk about them, but probably won't make them. Maybe it'd make a nice gift for someone? Or inspiration?

For me, however, this book is not a practical recipe book :) I'd suggest taking a look through the recipes first if you are planning to use the book as a cookbook.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment