Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Princess Within for Teens by Serita Ann Jakes



The book The Princess Within for Teens by Serita Ann Jakes is written for teenagers (obviously!) I happen to have a teenaged daughter, so I was interested in reading and reviewing this book.

No beating around the bush, I did not care for this book. Why? Primarily readability. It jumps from topic to topic to topic without much cohesion or follow-through.

The author tries to put too much "cutesy" type stuff in (Cinderella story updated, in bits and pieces; suggested music; quizzes (but no answers or interpretations!), personal stories, stories by others, letters to her "secret keeper", etc) So much stuff and it doesn't really follow any logical pathway or lead you to understand the topic at hand any better.

I get that the author is trying to catch girls' attention by offering all these different styles of writing, but it's just too much, in my opinion. She covers some good topics, things that are a part of teen life. Scriptures are used to support her writing and encourage girls to seek God's help.

I wouldn't really recommend this book. It's pretty confusing (in layout) and though it covers lots of topics, I just think that I've read much better. I'm sure some people will really enjoy this book and this style of writing, but it just wasn't for me.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House publishers for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment