Monday, June 17, 2013

Victim of Grace by Robin Jones Gunn


Have you ever read any of the Sisterchicks books? Or the Christy Miller Series? Sierra Jensen? These are some of the series that were written by the author of my most recent read, Robin Jones Gunn. I have read and enjoyed many of her Sisterchicks books -- light, quick-read Christian fiction books; when I saw this nonfiction book that she had written, Victim of Grace, I wasn't sure what to expect! I am so glad that I read this book and would definitely recommend it to you!

This book is basically an autobiography of parts of the author's life. She is very transparent in her writing; though the details may be different, it is so easy to identify with her struggles. At first I didn't like the title "Victim of Grace" -- victim seems so drastically negative, while grace is something so wonderful -- but as I read the book, I see that the title means that we are recipients of this grace from God even though/when we really don't seem to be looking for it.

I actually read this book with a pen in hand. This is SO not what I usually do. I am not a journaller and usually don't re-read books. However, first chapter, there I was, underlining stuff!! Some of the lines I marked were such as this, ". . .may it be evident that God's goodness is prevailing even when you can't see the final punch line." and "The things we hope for in life can't be wished into existence no matter how delightful or spiritual those possibilities might be." and so many more. I really have marked quite a few passages in the book and will definitely be re-reading it.

Obviously the book is marketed toward a female reader (check out the cover picture!) but honestly, it'd be a great book for men as well. Or for husbands and wives to read together!

It's an easy-to-read book full of great truths and reminders from God. It was an important book for me to read at this moment.

I would definitely recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment