Thursday, July 25, 2013

Little Pilgrim's Progress by Helen Taylor



When I was a child in the '70's my parents read Little Pilgrim's Progress to the family around the supper table; we all loved the story. Now, as a parent, I am happy to say that my children are equally loving the story!

This printing, by Moody Press, features a great cover illustration, which adds to its appeal.

The story follows Christian, a pilgrim going to the Celestial City. Along the way he encounters many situations and meets many people. I'm not really going to re-cap the story, because it's so well known. I do want to say, however, that it is a great tool as a read-aloud. The language IS a bit dated, but that's great for this purpose, the kids get to hear these terms in context and it enriches their language experience. Also -- the names of the characters, such as Faithful, Obstinate, Mistrust, Prudence, Discretion, Talkative, Diffidence, Despair, Mercy, and so on -- bring up great conversations with our children. They describe character traits which we either wish to claim or to shed.

There is excitement and drama in the story, and the chapters are very short. If you're reading a chapter a night, there will be lots of time for discussion! I love to hear my kids discussing the characters and events on their own also.

I would definitely recommend this book as a great read-aloud for a family. It's good for a whole range of ages, just be ready for lots of explanation and discussion!

I received a copy of this book from Moody Publishers for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment