Sunday, January 15, 2012

What a Son Needs from His Dad by Michael O'Donnell



This book, What a Son Needs From His Dad by Michael O'Donnell is a nice easily readable book, split into fairly short chapters. The book is written for fathers, emphasizing the huge role a father plays in his son's life. As a mom it drives me crazy that I cannot have the same type of influence on my son, but I do understand that it is a true concept. O'Donnell gives great examples and ideas of different areas which a dad influences his son.

There are chapters on spiritual life, work ethic, play/free time, creativity, friends, and others. O'Donnell gives ideas of how to encourage good characteristics and discourage bad. Of primary importance is the example that a father shows his son through his own lifestyle, relationships, and interactions.

Each chapter concludes with a "For Thought and Discussion" section which lists questions which can be used for self-examination or for starting points for discussion with a study group (or a buddy!)

I really enjoyed this book. We'll see how my husband likes it. It's not a crazy long book, it's not a "devotional" book per se (there are not many Scriptures referenced throughout)--but rather it's a great encouragement for men, emphasizing their huge role in their son's lives. I think often a dad goes to work all day, comes home tired at night, and then wonders exactly how much influence he has in the life of his son, since he sees him so much less than his wife does. This book highlights his own important role in the development of his son to a responsible man. It's not a book full of criticizing, but rather encouraging.

I would certainly recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book for free from Bethany House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment