Monday, January 13, 2020

High school :)

What does homeschooling your high schooler look like? When I look at blogs and other media posts of other people homeschooling high schoolers, they look so interesting, exciting, sophisticated. Here's what my days recently include, with homeschooling my 12th grader.

       

Ahh, calculus and advanced physics. Just trying to stay a day or two ahead of my student. Doing homework (mine!) at 11 pm when the house quiets down. It's an exciting life I lead... ;)  Like literally, I am up doing homework five nights a week, so I can be prepared to teach/explain/help him! I never took calculus, so this is all fresh to me :)

I'm not complaining:) Every life stage is different and big picture it is a joy to be a mom, and a homeschooling mom, at that.

It's sometimes I just look at others' beautiful pictures of their homeschooling lives and wonder why they're so picture-perfect when some days ours is more like...work.

Is it because what is being shared is the prettiest parts of the day? Or is it real life and our real life is just different? 

SO, I'm curious...those of you homeschooling high schoolers, what do your days look like?

5 comments:

  1. my days consist of "do you need help with anything? Can I help you find the answers?" I don't do homework, and I don't teach. We think too differently about how to do school. I find him curriculum and answer questions to the best of my ability. :) I also mark papers/tests but beyond that I let him do his thing. Horrid of me I'm sure, at least that's how I often feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My high schooler is fairly self-sufficient. She and I work together to determine her curriculum and direction but she works independently until she is stuck. She asks for help, works hard, and moves forward. She feels challenged by her work and enjoys it since she had a hand in planning it. Day-by-day, though, is her working mostly on her own. Same will be true next year when our current 8th grader officially joins her - she also work pretty independently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teen does most of his work on his own. We talked about his curriculum during the summer and planned it out from there. We do try to talk at dinner about what he was studying (especially his American gov't, history, and Tolkien class) but usually other things happen that take that time away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 17 year old daughter has special needs and most of her courses aren't high school. I read to her all of her material. The courses she can do by herself are more lower elementary level. She helps me pick out what she is interested in.

    My son will be in high school next year and I suspect he will work independently like he does now. He does ask for help when needed. He helps me with choosing curriculum and I give him chooses with electives. I struggle with the advance math and suspect I won't be able to help him anymore after this year. Currently we have him enrolled in an online math course with a live teacher. We will most likely continue that into his high school years.

    ReplyDelete