Saturday, August 30, 2014

Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas



Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas was an interesting quick read, with many developed characters who draw you into their stories. It is a book about a town in the '50's who are under the reign of a harsh preacher who seems to want the parishoners to worship and follow him rather than God and the Bible.

I do not want to give too many details, so I will not go into the story line much, other than to say that it is a story of love, as well as reconciliation, as well as difficulty and want, and more!

Unmarried Casewell is a woodworker who had a difficult relationship with his father, and everyone in the town seems to have a warm spot in their hearts for him. Perla is an unmarried woman with a sweet child who moves into the town and attracts all kinds of attention, mostly negative. The town enters a period of excessive drought and as the stresses increase, so do emotions and reactions. Okay, that's all I'll say!

This is a Christian romance, and there was one part that I was a little iffy with and that is the "gift from God" that Perla has of making a lot of food from not much in the way of ingredients -- not just creative cooking, but actually multiplying the foodstuffs. Other than that, the story could have been very realistic, but that "miracle" part just seemed unrealistic to me, and made me a little uncomfortable.

The end of the story is predictable (which I do like!) and also a happy ending (which I like as well).

I guess I have mixed feelings on this book. Would I recommend it? Maybe with reservations/explanations about the weirdness of Perla's "gift". I did like it most of the way, and it is an easy-to-read book, which is nice.

I received this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment