Sunday, July 29, 2012

Silly sewing survey question :)

I am teaching my daughter to sew and this topic has come up which I'd never thought about before. . .

How do you hold your foot on the foot pedal of your sewing machine?

It seems like a one-answer question, but for me, I always sew with my right shoe off and my heel on the floor, toe part on the non-hinge end of the pedal (long answer, right?!)




When I was teaching my daughter, she asked why not just use it the other way, with your foot resting all the time on the pedal, heel at the ridged part over the hinges. Now that she asked that it looks like maybe that's the way it's intended to be used!! :)

I don't know why I do it the way I do, but it's the most comfy with most control for me.

How about you?

:)

4 comments:

  1. I use it the same way. but my GD asked me recently why I don't use it the other way, and I told her she can use it any way she feels comfy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe I don't use a foot pedal can't stand them, I use a knee pedal, and love it. To me it has the best control. However, I am thinking in the next two years I'm going to buy a treadle and will then be using my feet, I plan on using both feet but will have to see what I like then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my sewing machine, I can use either the foot pedal or the knee pedal - but I have to hook up the foot one, so I always use the knee. I haven't quite mastered the art of letting go completely of the knee pedal, but a stitch or two can always be taken out lol. At my Mom's, she only has the foot pedal & I think I change it every time as to how I use it lol. Sometimes my whole foot, sometimes just my toes, or the ball of my foot. Just depends on what mood my foot is in lol. I'd like to get my treadle sewing machine going....but I need a bigger apartment (or just my own place!)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like a gas pedal on a car! It never occurred to me to do it any other way. I've been doing it that way for nearly 40 years - ooh, 40 years - just saying that is scary *grin*.

    ReplyDelete