Sunday, July 29, 2012

Call of a Coward by Marcia Moston


Call of a Coward by Marcia Moston is subtitled "The God of Moses and the Middle-Class Housewife). That title alone is intriguing to me, introducing thoughts of cowardice and what it is/is not and how that is reflected in my life. And that was before I even read the book!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Call of a Coward. The author seems so transparent, and so. . .NORMAL!! She struggles with the same things I do and wish I did not! Marcia and her husband and young daughter followed God's leading to go to a village in Guatemala for a season of their lives. This book shows glimpses into their lives during this time, from the initial "call" to the "how they got there" to "how did they make it?" to "what happened then?" (haha, you thought I was going to tell you what it was all about, didn't you? Nope! You have to read the book!!)

This family seemed so much like what regular people are. My kids and I read many many biographies of missionaries and they seem kind of different or better or more godly than we are. I know they were just people too, but they seem to have that "shine" or "magic" which moves them a little away from our lives. The Mostons make missions appear to be more within the average family's reach. I appreciate this aspect of the book!

Beyond all that praise (!) I will also say that Call of a Coward is a very interesting book, enjoyable to read. It's not a thorough story and leaves you wishing for a little more detail or explanation at times, which is a good thing I think. As to the theme of the book (the coward thing) I know I'd lump myself in with the coward title. It is hard to wait on the Lord and follow unquestioningly what He wants for us. I really resonate with the feelings of wanting to follow Him but wishing it was easier!! :)

I would recommend this book for sure! It is not just a book about missions or short-term missions but really about a life of wanting to follow God and then going through with it. Good job Marcia Moston on making this book so versatile!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review (and I'm glad it was positive!)Maybe all courage requires is opening our mouths and saying "yes" then do the next thing!Blessings

    ReplyDelete