Monday, June 16, 2014

Body & Soul by Bethany Hamilton



The book "Body & Soul" is written by Bethany Hamilton (of the "Soul Surfer" movie fame). The front of it says "A Girl's Guide to a Fit, Fun, and Fabulous Life."

I chose this book to review because I have a 14 yr old daughter who LOVES the Soul Surfer movie and thus is interested in Bethany Hamilton and what she does.

If I were reading this book without my daughter in mind, I would have probably liked it more. It is a very well-made book -- catchy colors, great editing, nice graphics and photos. There are lots of exercise tips, clean eating ideas and discussion, and even some recipes. There was a small segment on spiritual things -- like do your devotions and love others--

As a mom I will not give this book to my daughter because she is 14!!! I don't want her worrying about her body right now. Please don't get me wrong, she IS learning about nutrition and healthy choices, but . . . I do not want to encourage so much thinking about her own body right now. A lot of that is still my responsibility (giving her healthy foods) and making sure she has ample opportunity for physical activity. Other things, such as the "thin is better" implications -- I may have some thoughts about that too, but seeing as this is more a diet and exercise book, that's par for the course.

HOWEVER! :) I do think this book is a good book for an older teen/college student who is actively involved in food and exercise choices. I wish that there was a bit more spiritual emphasis (maybe the book could have been called BODY & a teeny bit of soul. :) Just kidding -- I'm sure that the title was to tie in with the movie title. Truthfully, though, she has a good platform and I wish that there had been more on reading and learning Scripture and God's plan for your body and life. . .that type of thing.

So -- I guess I'm a bit ambivalent on this book.

I received this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment