Sunday, October 6, 2013

Exploring the World of Astronomy by John Hudson Tiner



We are a homeschooling family and when I read that Master Books had come out with an elementary-middle school age book about astronomy I was very excited to check it out!! We are studying astronomy this year (with the Apologia book) and I am happy to say that we will be using this textbook (Exploring the World of Astronomy) as well!

The book is written in a very easy to understand form. For our family, it is a read-aloud, discuss, and answer the questions type of book. It's a black and white book and the chapters cover topics such as the moon, Mars, other planets, stars, telescopes, how we study space, and more (yes, Pluto too!) There are historical topics as well as very timely topics. Each chapter begins with three "explore" questions which are answered "discover" at the end of the chapter. At the end of the chapters are review questions as well as an "explore more" section (see picture below)

The book is very well-written. I think it could be easily used by a middle school learner as a self-study book. It is scientific information, written to be easily understood and learned. I would definitely recommend it!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment