Monday, April 1, 2013

The Language of Blessing by Joseph Cavanaugh III



The book The Language of Blessing by Joseph Cavanaugh is written for many people. Parents, people who are employed, people who interact with others, and people who were once children. :) Okay, so this book is for just about everyone :)

In this book the author speaks to many topics, primarily ones relating to the theme of finding, utilizing, and maximizing one's talents. The language of blessing spoken of in the title is a blessing which originates from God, one that if it is not received from ones parents can be received via other pathways, from God.

The book didn't have much Scripture in it, it was more a "self-help" - type book. Not that it wasn't good, just from Tyndale I kind of thought it would be more Bible-based.

The thought that most impressed/impacted me as I read through the book was that we each have talents and if we don't recognize them as such (through some sort of misplaced humility or just seeing ourselves as normal or average) then we see those talents as "average" or "what everyone ought to have" and then we are guilty of judging others because they don't have those "normal" things as a part of their lives. Wow. That one was a big point to ponder for me. I do see how that works. Thanks to the author for explaining and illustrating that so well.

There are also sections which give us advice on how to identify and encourage your children in their special talents and character traits. Sections about doing this with co-workers or employees or other people with whom you are in contact.

There was quite a bit said about different evaluative tools to identify talents, gifts, character, etc. Not sure how I felt about that, I kind of skimmed over all those references.

All in all, I found this book to be helpful, interesting, and informative. I'd recommend reading it!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment