Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Barber Who Wanted to Pray by R C Sproul


The book The Barber Who Wanted to Pray by RC Sproul is a children's book. Though it is written for children, I'm not sure if it's meant to be read alone by a child. The paintings are gorgeous and detailed. The topic is interesting, a story told of another story, of Martin Luther and his advice about how to pray. As an adult reading it, I was interested in the pattern of praying using parts of famous prayers.

As far as its appeal to children, I'm not sure. My children thought it was interesting and they enjoyed the pictures, but I'm not sure they understood what it meant to pray in this fashion. I do think it could be a good devotional tool, a starting point for discussing this method of praying. So. . .I'll call it a valuable book. Kids who read it themselves may ask questions which lead to their understanding it. Therein lies its value.

Would I buy it for my family? Yes. Would I give it as a gift? Hmmmm. . .maybe, maybe not. That would depend on how I thought their family would use it.

You know, it might actually make a nice book for a Sunday School or children's church class--with plenty of follow up explanation and discussion--and example.

The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book for the purposes of this review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment